For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Friday, September 5, 2008

What a day!

We got out of class early tonight. I can really get used to this kinda class. The professor even said we might get out early a few minutes tomorrow. She is an older lady with lots of wisdom and experience to share and she tells the most wonderful stories about her teaching career. She has worked in so many areas of teaching and administration. She seems to have enthusiasm that is contagious.

Today I got a surprise visit from a former student. I have worked with him in Biology for several years. The first time I had him he would not do any work and was pretty uncooperative so he did not pass. He had been in trouble for drugs and discipline problems. Then he came back to me a year later. I asked him why in the world he was in my class again and he said I asked them if I could be in your class and the guidance department sent him to find out if I would let him back in my class. ( Usually repeaters go to another teacher for their sake and ours.) We had a long talk and I agreed to let him stay if he promised to do the work required of him and pass this time. He worked diligently and actually completed the course up until the last 2 weeks of class with an A average. We were getting ready for the state test when police officers came to school and arrested him. We were all stunned! His father and his grandmother are his primary caregivers. His mother left a long time ago and no one really knows much about her anymore. This child had turned to me and another female teacher as his maternal support system. It may not sound strange to you but it was to us. This student, a 17-year old black male who had a problem with authority had latched on to us, two white female teachers. The other teacher is in her late 50's and I was only 25 at the time. A judge sent us a letter to be at a hearing for him before school was out and then another one over the summer. The statute of limitations was running out. The student had apparently sold drugs to an undercover agent almost a year to the date that they arrested him. We had seen such a dramatic change in character. His behavior, appearance, attitude, peer influence and basically everything about him had changed..... and now this. They drug tested him on the spot that day only to find that he was not using drugs but he had to be sent off anyways because he was being convicted of a felony charge as a minor. We devised a plan of action with the authorities and his family to keep him in school and rehabilitate him. We arranged to give him the state tests at the court house while he sat with his ankles shackled and a police officer supervising him. He was not allowed to take the test for Biology due to his ship off date. I was not there the day they told him but I was told that he cried his eyes out because he made me a promise and he was trying so hard to keep it. The state offers a re-test in July so I sent him some study materials to the group home where he was placed. He came by today to let me know that he passed the test and he was doing well and back with his family. He will get to graduate this spring. This young man who I came to admire greatly through his personal struggles and triumphs said I influenced him so much but he may never truly know the impact that he has had on me. Sure, every story doesn't end like this one. Many students do fall by the waist side but it is because of stories like this that I feel called to teach. Today I cried tears of joy for his perseverance and drive to overcome what most just give up on.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I absolutely love, love, love, love the hairbows!!! They are ADORABLE!!! You've got some talent there!! :) And one of every color too!!! They are just the right size, and I can't wait to get a hold of her to clip her locks into one!! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, you are so kind to think of her.

Ashton said...

WOW~ I love the hairbows! You are so talented!

Amanda said...

I tend to be biased for the dark headed babies too!! ;)

Debbie said...

I could not stop reading this - what a blessed way it ended. I'm sure he saw the caring in your eyes and heart.

Livin' out loud said...

Hi Amy, just wanted to let you know that the Monkey Bread is a mix I found at Target, its simple, fun and MESSY!! The kids love it! They have a bunch of different flavors to choose from. I am sure Raegan would just have a ball with this stuff!!
Hugs
Susan

~Laura~ said...

Hey there,

Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving a comment.

I know your hubby! We went to church together when we were kids. I was friends with his sister, Sherry. He's all grown up and married now..wow!

Thanks for the compliments on the bedding. I mainly sew for fun but this time it was stictly to occupy my mind. HA! The waiting for our referral is making my CRAZY. I'm dying to see her face...just something to hold me over until she's home.

I love this story you posted. My hubby and I were in youth ministry for years and there is nothing more rewarding that to hear how you've impacted the life of a teenager. One day at youth camp, I was missing my kids and wondering why I even bother sometimes because you know how teeagers can be. Anyway, one of the kids could tell I was struggling and he told me. You may never see the fruit of what you've sewn into the our lives but you will reep it back in your own children. WOW. I can't tell you the impact that had on me. It made me keep going when I was ready to give up because one day that will be my teenager that will need a special person to pour into her. I'm sure you already know this, but there are so many lives that you are impacting besides this one kid....lives that you'll never know about. Keep it up!