For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Monday, September 15, 2008

Lessons At The Fence Post


"You cannot draw water from an empty well...You cannot give a person what you do not have."


"You must learn to give to others without expectation of return."


The above quotes were taken from the book Lessons At The Fence Post, a book of quotes that a grandson recorded as his grandfather's most influential quotes. These particular two stuck out in my mind as I read the book. Often times we are not able to give material gifts to others as we would like or as they would expect. Sometimes the most important gifts in life are not materialistic or tangible at all. Sometimes they are merely caring words of concern, comforting shoulders to cry on, listening ears, acts of kindness, prayerful hearts, time, love, or attention for your little ones. Meaningful gifts are given with a pure heart and without expectation of anything in return. I encourage you as well as myself to give more "self" and fewer gifts that don't require any of yourself at all.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I would take any of those gifts over a "store bought" gift! It's easy to produce something in a box with a pretty little bow - not so easy at times to give your time which makes it even the more special.