For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Friday, August 1, 2008

Missing my baby girl today.

Today was my first real day back at work and I felt like someone ripped my heart out and stomped all over it when I had to leave my baby girl. I am dreading leaving her and possibly missing seeing and hearing some of her milestones for the first time but its something I have to do. She is doing so much now. Everyday is an adventure. Her newest thing is going to get things we ask for and then putting them back.... ie. Mickey Mouse, Dora, Babydoll, Leap, Lily, books, remote, shoes, clothes, and even potatoes. Yes, I said potatoes. I bet you're wondering. We have sweet potatoes in our kitchen. A few days ago she brought me one and I said, "Ohhhh.... now take it back please". Much to our surprise she did exactly what we told her to. Most of the time she points and says, "that" and shrugs her shoulders like she's asking what is that. She probably does that a hundred times a day. She is beginning to make the connection between those objects and what they are really called. Today she said, "drink," instead of just grunting for it. Also, we're getting alot of one-time repeaters. She doesn't know what we are saying but she just says something similar to what it sounds like. Isn't it amazing! Being a first time mom is truly eye-opening. As an educator I have studied for years about meeting needs and hierarchies of human development but actually seeing it take place before my eyes is the most wonderful experience I have ever had. An indescribable bond exists between two people who have created life and get the chance to watch it grow right before their very eyes. Isn't God Great!

Even as bad as I hate leaving my little one I am so thankful to have a job to provide for her. The pain of leaving her has to be better than the pain of not being able to take care of her. In a world plagued by poverty, I am thankful to God for providing for us so richly. This cannot be said for all of the students I teach. I know God has plans for me there and he is using me in ways I don't even know about. My mom always said be thankful for your health because without it and the expectation of life you have nothing. All the "things" in the world can't heal your heart, care for your spirit, or guarantee anything in life. Thank you God.

No comments: