For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Awesome story.

Today I heard an awesome adoption story that took place in my hometown. I have an aide in my classroom for children with special needs. Today she was showing me pictures of her grandson and great nephew. ( I went to school with her daughter and niece). I told her that I hadn't realized that her niece had a baby not realizing he was adopted because the picture of him was at just a few weeks old. She said remember that my niece was adopted. I had forgotten because honestly she looks almost exactly like her momma. She said that her niece had always had a strong desire to adopt having been adopted herself. So, she and her husband started the process and were expecting to get a baby here in the U.S. After months of preparation and anticipation their world was shattered to find out that the nursery they had prepared would remain empty. It was bittersweet for them as the biological parents had decided to keep the baby. They struggled through bouts of depression but made it through. Several months went by. Out of the blue a family friend who is an obstetrician came to their mortgage company to see them. She said, " I really need to see you," and closed the door behind her. She said, "What I'm about to tell you is going to change your life forever." Then the doctor proceeded to tell them that she had a patient who was to deliver a baby in the next few weeks and they had decided at the last minute to give the child up for adoption. They were overwhelmed with joy and quickly began the legal procedures. The doctor arranged everything so that neither side met in person. The adoptive parents were in the room next to the delivery room and were able to hold the baby merely minutes after his birth. I almost cried as I heard the story today. I thought, wow, how can anyone not believe in miracles and the power of God.

2 comments:

Ashton said...

That is an amazing story!

Amanda said...

wow. that's all I know to say. what an amazing story.