For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Monday, January 26, 2009

Please pray for my Grandaddy.

*UPDATE : We are doing much better. We got some much needed rest today and Raegan is better tonight than she has been in the past few days. As for Grandaddy, there really is no update. He is no better and no worse. The doctors will continue watching him, so it seems to be a waiting game for now. They said putting him back on blood thinner was too risky due to the bleeding but that not having it could be a risk for another stroke. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers these next few days.

Amy



Today I have had the first moment to update you on what a whirlwind our lives have been in. On Saturday night after class, Scott and I decided we needed to get out of the house, so we did. During our outing, my grandmother called with frantic requests to help get my Grandaddy to the hospital. So, we raced back home, dropped Raegan at his parents and went to their house. Once we got there we proceeded to gather the necessary meds and get him in the car to the hospital. I drove them and Scott went to find my dad who was not reachable by his cell phone. We go to the hospital about 8:30 pm. The ER was a nightmare, full of ailing people and their families. They ended up taking my grandaddy back and a man who had a heart attack back very quickly. They immediately did a CT and x-ray to find bleeding on the brain. Air-vac was called in and we decided to send him to Nashville where he had been seen for his heart condition and other major surgeries. THEY REFUSED HIM!!!!! So he had to be re-routed to Huntsville hospital which was actually closer. He is there now. They have decided not to do surgery and just evaluate his progress since the bleeding has now stopped on its own. They have diagnosed him as having a hemorrhagic stroke on the left frontal lobe and bleeding from trauma (falling) on the rear right side of the brain. As of now, they are waiting on the swelling to subside. He will have to do extensive therapy before he can go home "if" he can go home. They said that if he doesn't show more improvement then it will not be possible for him to be cared for at home alone. My grandmother is so worried, as we all are. But God reveals himself in a mighty way when things fall apart in our lives. Its a miracle that he is still alive at all with all that he has been through. Last Tuesday home health started coming out to check his blood due to the blood thinner that he takes daily for his heart. The nurse tried 3 times and couldn't get blood so they sent another nurse on Friday who also tried 3 times with no avail who called another nurse who tried 3 times and failed. All the while they had stopped the blood thinner and his last dose was Tues. night. He went from Tue. to Sat. with no blood thinner. Had he taken the med. he probably would've bled to death, and to think that in our stubbornness we were upset that he was being used as a pin cushion instead of recognizing the miracle of God's plan right before our very eyes.

Scott and I are trying not to get sick and Raegan has a cold so we are all trying to take care of ourselves as well as the family. Please pray for healing and strength for our family during this time. Thank you to everyone who has helped us so much the past few days.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandaddy. But I'm sure God is blessed that you have already seen him working in your lives. I will be praying and I work right next to the hospital... and don't live very far at all, if you ever need anything, feel free to just ask!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Granddaddy. Know that he is in my prayers and I wish you all the best. Your Grandmother is a very strong lady and I know that she will be able to pull through this along with your Granddaddy. They both are wonderful people and deserve nothing but the best. As you said God has his own plans, and even though we may not know what they are, just sit back and watch him do his magic. I am here for you if you need anything. I know how it is to be going through something similiar.

Debbie said...

Bless your heart! I will be praying for you all. As Amanda said, we work right next door to the hospital so.. if we can help at all just call. My work number is 533-2930.