For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Monday, November 10, 2008

Baby signing

Raegan has been busy with baby sign-language lately. This child amazes me each day. When she was 9 months old I tried to teach her a few common baby signs so that she could communicate with us before she developed vocal commuication. I didn't think she picked it up so I kind of slacked off for awhile. Then, this weekend she picked it up again. Its amazing what they can remember. She has been signing eat, more, up, milk, sleepy, etc. "More" is her favorite and when she really wants more in a hurry she signs even faster. Too funny. I didn't know that American Sign Language is actually considered a second language. I learned a little ASL when I was 7 because we had a deaf student in my class. They also taught us a little spanish and believe it or not I still remember the things I learned then but can't remember much of the 2 years I took formally. Amazing what young minds can retain.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

We all need to learn. They have been singing songs at church each week with the teens singing using sign – Kaylin is amazed with this. I need to buy a book and work on this with her and Eli.
I have a feeling that your grandma knows just how much you appreciate all the things she left on this earth in your heart! Don’t doubt that for a second! I know she is so very proud of you!

Livin' out loud said...

We LOVE sign langauge! We are huge fans of the PBS special "Signing time", its an awesome show that the kids just love! It is so amazing how quickly they can learn!!
XX
Susan

Anonymous said...

I just stopped by from visiting other blogs. I can relate to this post. My son knows a few signs. But the one he had done the most earlier on was "more". He still does it sometimes now, even when he knows how to say the word. They are such sponges at this age, aren't they? Your daughter is beautiful...it sounds like she brings you and your family much joy!
Nice to meet you!