For this child I prayed........ and the Lord hath given me that which I asked of him.

I Samuel 1:27

Saturday, June 20, 2009

An unexpected suprise...

Today my grandmother received a letter in the mail. It was from the niece of my Grandaddy's high school English teacher. Enclosed was a book report that Ms. Jennings had saved from his English 3 class in high school (presumably the beginning of his junior year). It was dated September 12, 1950. Wow after all these years. That must have been some book report! Ms. Jennings, a 100 year young, old-maid school teacher passed away earlier this year. My grandparents and my great-aunt visited her for lunch frequently and they said she still quoted from Macbeth and Hamlet, never missing a beat. I can remember the stories my Grandaddy told of his experiences in Ms. Jennings class. His infamous stories have inspired me to someday be my students' Ms. Jennings. What a treasure she has passed on to us by sharing his assignment from some 59 years ago. What a blessing.

We are on our way to the hospital soon to take dinner and visit. I will probably stay the night so that my dad can go home and get some rest. I just talked to him and he told me about the book report. I can't wait to read it. He says there is really no change but that they are giving him small doses of morphine to keep him comfortable. He said at this point they are suggesting it is just a matter of time. I know that it will only come to pass in God's perfect timing. He knows best and he will give us all that we need to endure the heartache that we may face.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You really need to scan the book report and share it with us. What a tresure! I'll be keeping you and grand daddy in my prayers sweet girl.